And I'm writing in this letter cause, I feel neglected in this relationship, very disappointed in what I've been seeing.
写这封信是因为,我感觉我在这段关系里被忽视了,同时对我所看到的非常失望。
With your ambition to make money you sacrificed my well being,
你有想挣钱的雄心,却为此牺牲我的健康,
which makes no sense in the least because when I get sick you sacrificed that same money to recuperate ME.
这完全不合理。因为如果我病了,你赚的那些钱都要用来给我治病!
And what's even more ironic is with all your interest in profit,
更讽刺的是,你利欲熏心,
you can't even see the truth that I'm worth over A BILLION DOLLARS.
甚至看不清这个事实:我才是最宝贵的啊!
Don't you believe me? Okay I'll prove it.
你不相信?好吧,我证明给你看。
If someone came to you with a check for One Million and said "Here, all I want in return is your eyesight."
如果有人拿着100万的支票来找你,他说:“给你,作为交换,我想要你的眼睛。”
You will never be able to see another sunset for the rest of your natural life.
你将在余生里再也看不到夕阳。
Would you take that deal? Ok, let's up the bid.
这样的交易你愿意吗?好吧,让我们把赌注加大。
Suppose he had a check for Ten Million instead, and if you accept it you would no longer have use of your arms or legs.
假设他有一张千万的支票,如果你接受了,你将再也无法使用四肢。
Would you take THAT deal? I can answer that for you. NO.
你要交换吗?我可以替你回答。不可能。
Those are silly options because you know that as your body I am worth over a BILLION DOLLARS.
这都是一些很愚蠢的选择,因为我的价值远不止于此。
And don't get me started with the heart.
别让我提心脏了。
If I was a company, right?
如果我是一间公司。
This Heart wouldn't get Employee of the Month.
心脏不会得“月度最佳员工”称号,
It would get the Employee of the LIFE!
它要得到的是“终身最佳员工”。
Because throughout your entire existence as a person, your heart never stops working!
因为在你的一生里,你的心脏从未停止工作!
Even when you're sleeping it doesn't stop beating,
即使在你睡觉时,它也没有停止跳动,
that's EVERY SECOND EVERY MINUTE EVERY DAY and come to think of it I can't recall you ever saying Thanks.
每秒每分每天都在工作,现在想想,我不曾听你说过谢谢。
Anyway I don't want this to come off as rude.
无论如何,我不想冒犯你。
Just asking for a little attention here dude.
只是想要你对我多点关心。
I know you try to make me look perfect when you're Instagramming.
我知道你发朋友圈时想让我尽量看起来完美。
But we both know you've been taking me for granted.
但是我们都知道,你并不重视我。
Consider this an opportunity.
借此机会。
After this audio ends don't click to the next one like you do usually.
听完这段音频,别忙着像往常一样点下一个。
Take some time by yourself. Just, you and me.
给你和我一点独处的时间。
Place your hand on your chest and say "Thank You" to your heartbeat.
把你的手放在胸口,对心脏说“谢谢”。
To your EYES, LEGS, ARMS.
对你的眼睛、双腿、胳膊。
To your lungs that bring you breath without you even trying.
对让你呼吸的肺部说“谢谢”。
I do it all for you, cause you come first.
我为你做这一切,是因为你永远是我的第一位。
Cause you're my homie!
因为你是我的好朋友。
We go way back, don't we? Like, birth?
我们认识很久了,对吧?大概,从出生开始?
I just think it's time you start treating me what I'm worth.
我想,是时候你该给我应有的对待了。
2
I will be king
我会成为国王
I don't know if I will have the time to write any more letters, because I might be too busy trying to participate.
我不知道我是否还有时间继续写信,因为我正忙着学会参与。
So, if this does end up being the last letter, I just want you to know that I was in a bad place before I started high school.
所以,如果这是最后一封信,我想告诉你,在高中之前,我的生活很不好过。
And you helped me.
是你给了我光明。
Even if you didn't know what I was talking about, or know someone who's gone through it, it made me not feel alone.
即使你并不明白我在说什么,也不知道这是谁的曾经,这一切让我不再孤独。
Because I know there are people who say all of these things don't happen.
因为我知道有些人会说,这些不可能都是真的。
And there are people who forget what it's like to be 16 when they turn 17.
还有一些人,一到十七岁就忘记了十六岁的感觉。
I know these will all be stories someday.
我知道有一天,所有这些都会成为往事。
And our pictures will become old photographs.
我们的容颜会定格在老照片里。
And we'll all become somebody's mom or dad.
我们也会为人父母。
But right now, these moments are not stories.
但是现在,这些瞬间还未过去。
This is happening. I am here.
它们正在发生。就在当下。
And I am looking at her. And she is so beautiful.
我看着她。她是那样的美丽。
I can see it. This one moment when you know you're not a sad story.
我看见了。这一瞬间,你知道自己不是悲剧的主角。
You are alive. And you stand up and see the lights on the buildings and everything that makes you wonder.
你充满生命力。你站起来,欣赏灯光璀璨的夜色,看着眼前让你惊叹的一切。
And you are listening to that song on that drive with the people you love most in this world.
听着音乐,兜着风,和最爱的人们在一起。
And in this moment, I swear, we are infinite.
我敢说,在这一刻,我们拥有无限。
3
My Life Was Kidnapped By A Cell Phone
我的生活被手机绑架了
I don't know when it first started.
我不知道这是从什么时候开始的。
I don't really talk to my friends anymore.
我已经不再和朋友们进行真正的交谈了。
We just send each other texts and emojis on social network.
我们仅仅是在社交网络上发发信息、发发表情。
And the ones who don't do this often gradually fade away from my daily life.
而那些不这么做的人,则渐渐淡出了我的生活。
I don't even talk to my family much anymore.
我甚至都不怎么和家人讲话了。
They all have their wonderful lives inside their smartphones, just like me.
他们也都在各自的手机上有着精彩的生活就像我一样。
Those days when I can chat joyfully with people who I love inside a cosy restaurant
那些可以和所爱之人一起在一家温馨餐厅里
with mouthwatering feast in front of us are long gone.
一边享受眼前美味佳肴、一边愉快交谈的日子已经一去不复返了。
Sometimes when this thought come across my mind I realize that I really miss this.
有些时候,当这种想法忽然袭来的时候,我发现自己真的很怀念那种日子。
There are moments in which I thought to myself: Am I still myself? Or have I become my phone?
有些时候,我甚至想:我还是我自己吗?还是说,我已经变成了我的手机?
Yes, technology is what keeps us going forward.
对,科技推动着我们不断向前。
But we really should not go too fast.
但我们真的不应该走得过快。
We need time to empty our minds and reflect on ourselves.
我们需要留出时间来放空自己,来自我反思。
We need time to feel all the feelings that make us human.
我们需要留出时间来感受那些让我们之所以为人的情感。
4
Sometimes, It Is Good To Be Alone
有时,孤独是好事
"It is necessary for me, sometimes, to just be alone and quiet and doing nothing."“有时候,我必须独自一人,只是安静地呆着,不做任何事。”Charles Bukowski, one of my favorite poets, once wrote this.我最喜爱的诗人之一,查尔斯·布可夫斯基曾写过这样的文章。I went on a walk today, by myself.我今天出去散步,就我自己。I've come to learn that it is healthy to be alone at times.我了解到,有时孤独是健康的。It is also freeing: for the mind, for the heart, and for the soul.它也是自由的:对你的思维而言,对你的心灵和灵魂而言。Just like you spend time with the people you love, you have to spend time with yourself.就像你花时间在你爱的人身上,你也要花时间与自己相处。You can't always do that when you are around others.当你身处人群之中,你无法这样做。At times, your heartbeat can drown in the noise and you can't hear what your heart is saying to you.你的心跳声可能会淹没在嘈杂的噪音里,你无法听见你的心在与你对话。Likewise, your mind can be preoccupied and too chaotic to the point that you can't understand your thoughts.同样,你的思维可能被混乱所占据,而使你无法了解自己内心的想法。It is important to learn how to be alone.学习如何独处是很重要的。During the time that I spent alone on the walk, I reflected on some things that I had placed in the back of my mind.当我独自一人散步,我会仔细思考那些我放在心底的东西。Doing that can place a burden on you.这样做或许会给你带来负担。You have no idea how much burying things in the back of your mind can subconsciously affect you.但你不会知道,这些潜藏在心底的东西是如何潜移默化地影响着你。You need to listen to yourself. Introspection is important.你要倾听你自己。自省很重要。It is essential to observe your own emotional processes.观察自己的情绪历程很重要。Self-awareness is important.自我意识也是至关重要的。You need to look inside of you in order to learn more about you.你需要多看看自己的内心世界,这样你才能更了解自己。If you can't do that, then it will be extremely hard to be in touch with your soul.如果你做不到,那么你将很难与自己的灵魂相连接。And, you need your soul as much as your soul needs you.而你需要你的灵魂,就像你的灵魂需要你一样。Are you your own friend?你是自己的朋友吗?This is an important question to ask yourself.这是一个你要扪心自问的重要课题。Make yourself the person who you would want to become best friends with.让自己成为那个你想与之交朋友的人。Don't stop learning about yourself.不要停止了解你自己。There are always so many undiscovered places.总有许多还未被发掘的地方。You are like the ocean, with depths greater than you can imagine.你就像海洋,比你想象的深度还要深。You will never fully learn about yourself.你永远不会完全了解你自己。But, you can keep discovering layers and layers.但是,你可以一层一层地挖掘自己。Go on walks alone. Sit in silence. Listen to music that calms you.独自散步,沉默静坐,听些让你平静的音乐。Do something, anything, that makes you feel at peace with yourself.做些让你觉得平静的事情。Do something that allows you to learn more about who you are.做些让你能更了解自己的事情。Be your own friend. Go ahead, be alone. You need it… sometimes.做自己的朋友。继续前行,独自一人。有时,你需要它……
5
The Dignity of Life
人生的尊严
Once I sent off a friend to the railway station. We called a taxi and put several heavy suitcases in the trunk. Getting off, a middle-age man leaning on a crutch opened the door for us. After that, he stretched out a small dirty pot to us. On the pot were stacked with coins and banknotes of one or two jiao.有一次,我去火车站送朋友。我们叫了辆出租车,把几个沉重的箱子放在车后面。下车时,一个拄着拐杖的中年人给我们打开了车门。接着,他向我们伸出一个肮脏的小盆。盆上堆满了一毛两毛的硬币和纸币。 I asked my friend if she had some changes. She shook her head. I had to give him two yuan used for buying the platform ticket to the middle-age man. Shocked, he kept jerking the small pot, as if he received so much money for the first time.我问朋友是否有零钱。朋友摇了摇头。我只好把准备用来买站台票的两元钱都给了那个中年人。中年人大吃一惊,手不停地抖动着小盆子,好像他第一次收到这么多钱。 Not caring, we went straight to the trunk to fetch the suitcases. My friend took out one suitcase with all her might .Just as she was about to pick up another, a dark stout hand stretched in. “Let me do it.” He picked up the suitcase and insisted on carrying it for us to the railway station entrance. “No, thank you. You are so compassion."My friend and I didn’t give the heart. “No, I must send you off.” He limped towards the station, his left hand leaning on a crutch and his light hand carrying the large suitcase.我们没在意,径直往后车厢去拿箱子。朋友费了很大的力气,才拿出来一个。刚要提起另一只时,一只粗壮黝黑的大手伸过来。“我来!”他一把拿过那只箱子,坚持要帮我们把箱子提到车站门口。“不用了,谢谢。你也不方便啊!”我和朋友都不忍心。“不行,一 定要送。”他左手拄着拐杖,右手提着大箱子,一瘸一拐地往车站方向走去。 Compassion and dignity have sublimated love.怜悯和尊严使爱心得到升华。
6
Get a Thorough Understanding of Oneself
悟透自我
In all one’s lifetime it is oneself that one spends the most time being with or dealing with. But it is precisely oneself that one has the least understanding of.人生在世,相处最多、打交道最多的就是自己,但是人最不了解的也恰恰是自己。 When you are going upwards in life you tend to overestimate yourself. It seems that everything you seek for is within your reach;luck and opportunities will come your way and you are overjoyed that they constitute part of your worth. When you are going downhill you tend to underestimate yourself, mistaking difficulties and adversities for your own incompetence. It’s likely that you think it wise for yourself to know our place and stay aloof from worldly wearing a mask of cowardice, behind which the flow of sap in your life will be retarded.人生走上坡路时,往往把自己估计过高,似乎一切所求的东西都能唾手可得,甚至把运气和机遇也看做自己身价的一部分而喜出望外。人在不得志时,又往往把自己估计过低,把困难和不利也看做自己的无能,以至把安分守己、与世无争误认为有自知之明,而实际上往往被怯懦的面具窒息了自己鲜活的生命。 To get a thorough understanding of oneself is to gain a correct view of oneself and be a sober realist-aware of both one’s strength and shortage. You may look forward hopefully to the future but be sure not to expect too much, for ideals can never be fully realized. You may be courageous to meet challenges but it should be clear to you where to direct your efforts.悟透自己,就是正确认识自己,也就是说要做一个冷静的现实主义者,既知道自己的优势,也知道自己的不足。我们可以憧憬人生,但期望值不能过高。因为在现实中,理想总是会打折扣的,我们要经得起挑战。 To get a thorough understanding of oneself needs self-appreciation. Whether you like yourself to a towering tree or a blade of grass, whether you think you are a high mountain or a small stone, you represent a state of nature that has its own reason of existence. If you earnestly admire yourself you’ll have a real sense of self-appreciation, which will give you confidence. As soon as you gain full confidence in yourself you’ll be enabled to fight and overcome any adversity.要悟透自己就要欣赏自己。无论你是一棵参天大树,还是一棵小草,无论你成为一座巍蛾的高山,还是一块小小的石头,都是一种天然,都有自己存在的价值。只要你认真地欣赏自己,你就会拥有一个真正的自我。只有自我欣赏才会有信心,一旦拥有了信心也就拥有了抵御一切逆境的动力。 To get a thorough understanding of oneself is to get a full control of one’s life. Then one will find one’s life full of color and flavor. 悟透了自己,才能把握住自己,你的生活才会有滋有味!
7
My Companions in Solitude
我孤独中的伴侣
Yes! I will steal from the world, and not a babbling tongue shall tell where I am. Echo shall not so much as whisper my hiding place. Suffer the imagination to permit it as a little sun-light cottage, on the side of a romantic hill.不错,我即将悄然离开这世界,任何饶舌鬼也说不出我在何处。即使那回声也说不出我的藏身之处。您爱怎么想就怎么想吧:或许你会把它说成是山间的小屋,那儿充满了浪漫的欢乐和金色的阳光。 Do you think I will leave love and friendship behind me? No! They shall be my companions in solitude, for they will sit down and rise up with me in the amiable form of my L. We will be as merry and as innocent as our first parents in Paradise, before the arch-fiend entered that indescribable scene.您以为我会把爱情和友谊抛弃吗?决不!它们是我孤独中的伴侣,因为无论我起坐行止我都会感受到我所爱的温馨。在撒旦介入那美妙的乐园生活之前,我们会像我们的祖先一样快乐和天真、无邪。 The kindest affections will have room to shoot and expand in our retirement, and produce such fruit as madness and envy and ambition have always killed in the bud. Let the human tempest and hurricane rage at a distance, the desolation is beyond the horizon of peace.我们最美好的爱情还会有不断加深和发展的余地,如此的爱,疯狂、嫉妒和非凡之想都会扼杀在萌芽之中。让人间的暴风骤雨在远方肆虐吧,让孤独把那寂静隔离在远远的地平线上。 My L has seen a polyanthus blow in December... me friendly wall has sheltered it from the biting wind. No planetary influence shall reach us but that which presides and cherishes the sweetest flowers. God preserve us!我的L看见过夜来香在十二月开放……正好有堵墙挡住了凛冽的寒风。这儿无尘世的干扰,只有甜蜜的花香欣赏。愿上帝保佑我们! How delightful this prospect in idea! We will build and we will plant, in our own way simplicity shall not be tortured by art. We will learn of nature how to live she shall be our alchemist, to mingle all the good of life in one salubrious draught.意想中的前景是多么喜人!我们将自由自在地在这儿安家、耕种……朴实再不会受到奸诈的欺凌。我们将向大自然学会生活……她是我们的炼金术士,她把生活中一切美好的东西融为和谐的力量。 The gloomy family of care and distrust shall be banished from our dwelling, guarded by the kind and tutelary deity. We will sing our choral songs of gratitude and rejoice to the end of our pilgrimage.我们居住的地方不再有忧虑和不信任的阴影笼罩,只有仁慈的守护神保卫我们。我们将同声歌唱,感谢神灵,欢欣鼓舞直到走完人生旅程。 Adieu, my L...再见了,我的L…… Return to one who languishes for your society.回到盼您的伴侣的身边来吧,他为了与您相处而熬得憔悴。
8
Love
爱情
I love you not because of who you are, but because of who I am when I am with you.我爱你,不是因为你是一个怎样的人,而是因为我喜欢与你在一起时的感觉。 No man or woman is worth your tears,and the one who is,won't make you cry.没有人值得你流泪,值得让你这么做的人不会让你哭泣。 The worst way to miss someone is to be sitting right beside them knowing you can’t have them.失去某人,最糟糕的莫过于他近在身旁,却犹如远在天边。 Never frown,even when you are sad, because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.纵然伤心,也不要愁眉不展,因为你不知谁会爱上你的笑容。 To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.对于世界而言,你是一个人;但是对于某人而言,你是他的整个世界。 Don’t waste your time on a man/woman, who isn’t willing to waste their time on you.不要为那些不愿在你身上花费时间的人而浪费你的时间。 Just because someone doesn’t love you the way you want them to, doesn’t mean they don’t love you with all they have.爱你的人如果没有按你所希望的方式爱你,那并不代表他们没有全心全意地爱你。 Don’t try to hard, the best things come when you least expect them to.不要着急,最好的总会在最不经意的时候出现。 Maybe God wants us to meet a few wrong people before meeting the right one, so that when we finally meet the person, we will know how to be grateful.在遇到梦中人之前,上天也许会安排我们先遇到别人;在我们终于遇见心仪的人时, 便应当心存感激。 Don’t cry because it is over, smile because it happened.不要因为结束而哭泣,微笑吧,为你的曾经拥有。
9
Just for Today
就为了今天
Just for today I will try to live through this day only and not tackle my whole life problem at once. I can do something for twelve hours that would appall me if I had to keep it up for a lifetime. 就为了今天,我将尽力只度过今天而不立刻去解决终身的问题。对一件令我沮丧而又必须坚持一辈子的事,我只能坚持十二个小时。 Just for today I will be happy. This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, that “Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.” 就为了今天,我会很快乐。亚伯拉罕·林肯说过,“大多数人都是决定想怎么高兴就怎么高兴。”这已经被认为是真理。 Just for today I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my “luck” as it comes. 就为了今天,我会做自我调整适应事物本来的面目,而不是想方设法使每一件事满足自己的欲望。当机会来临的时候我会抓住它。 Just for today I will try to strengthen my mind. I will study. I will learn something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration. 就为了今天,我会尽力心强志坚。我会学习,学一些有用的东西。我不会做一个精神上的流浪汉。我会读一些需要努力、思考和注意力集中的东西。 Just for today I will exercise my soul in three ways. I will do somebody a good turn and not get found out:If anybody knows of it, it will not count. I will do at least two things I don’t want to do-just for exercise. I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt:they may be hurt, but today I will not show it. 就为了今天,我会用三种方法来磨炼我的灵魂。我会做对某人有利的事但不能被发现,若有人发现了就不算数。我将会做至少两件我不愿做的事情——只为了磨炼。我不会让任何人感到我的感情受到了伤害:它们可能受到了伤害,但今天我不想表现出来。 Just for today I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly,talk low, act courteously, criticize not one bit, and try not to improve or regulate anybody but myself. 就为了今天,我会过得很愜意。看起来我达到了最佳状态,穿着得体、讲话谦虚、行为 礼貌、一点不吹毛求疵,尽量改进和调节自己而不是别人。 Just for today I will have a program, I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests:hurry and indecision. 就为了今天,我会制定一个计划,我也许不会严格地遵守它,但我一定要有计划。我会避免两种错误:仓促行事和优柔寡断。 Just for today I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax. During this half hour, sometime, I will try to get a better perspective of my life. 就为了今天,我将会独自静静地待上半小时放松。在这半小时里,某个时刻,我会在日后对我的生活有个更好的看法。 Just for today I will be unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me. 就为了今天,我将不再害怕。尤其我不会再害怕享受美丽的事物,并且相信我给予世界的,世界也会给予我。
10
Suit Is the Best
适合的才是最好的
The proper force of words lies not in the words themselves, but in their application. A word may be a fine sounding word, of an unusual length, and very imposing from its learning and novelty, and yet in the connection in which it is introduced may be quite pointless and irrelevant. It is not pomp or pretension,but the adaptation of the expression to the idea, that clenches a writer’s meaning:as it is not the size or glossiness of the materials, but their being fitted each to its place, that gives strength to the arch;or as the pegs and nails are as necessary to the support of the building as the larger timber, and more so than the mere showy, unsubstantial ornaments.词汇的力量不在词汇本身,而在词汇的应用。一个音节嘹亮的长字,就其本身的学术性和新奇感来说,可能是令人叹赏的,然而,把它放在某句上下文之中,说不定倒会牛头不对马嘴。这是因为要确切表达作者的意思,关键并不在文词是否华丽堂皇,而在于文字是否切合内容;正像在建筑中,要使拱门坚固,关键不在于材料的大小和光泽,而在于它们用在那里是否恰好严丝合缝。因此,在建筑物中,砂木钉有时竟与大件木料同等重要,而其支撑作用肯定远远胜过那些徒有其表、不切实用的装饰部件。 I hate anything that occupies more space than it is worth. I hate to see a load of bandboxes go along the street, and I hate to see a parcel of big words without anything in them. A person who dews not deliberately dimples of all his thoughts alike in cumbrous draperies ancj flimsy disguises may strike out twenty varieties of familiar everyday language, each coming somewhat nearer to the feeling he wants to convey, and at last not hit upon that particular and only one which may be said to be identical with the exact impression in his mind. 我讨厌那些白占地方的东西,讨厌一大堆空纸盒装在车上招摇过市,也讨厌那些写在纸面上的大而无实际内容的字眼。一个人写文章,只要他不是立志要把自己的真意用重重錦绣帐幔、层层多余伪装完全遮掩起来,他总会从熟悉的日常用语中想出一二十种说法,一个比一个更接近他所要表达的情感,只怕到了最后,他竟会拿不定主意要用哪一种说法才能恰如其分地表达自己的心意哩! This would seem to show that Mr. Cobalt is hardly right in saying that the first word that occurs is always the best.It may be a very good one;and yet a better may present itself on reflection or from time to time. It may be suggested naturally, however, and spontaneously, from a fresh and lively conception of the subject. 如此说来,可波特先生所谓最先闪现脑际之词自然是最好的说法未必可靠。这样出现的字眼也许很好,然而经过一次又一次推敲,还会发现更好的字眼。这种字眼,要经过围绕内容进行清醒而活泼的构思,才能够自自然然的想到。